Skip to main content

Instructor perspectives on using Gopher Glass

Technological advancements have and continue to revolutionize education, helping instructors reach their students in new and exciting ways. But sometimes chalkboards and whiteboards are still the best way to convey vital information to a classroom full of students. What would happen if the whiteboard was turned around so that instructors could face their students? What if all the vital whiteboard information was put into an engaging video that students could watch as many times as they needed? 

One of the ATSS video production studios houses Gopher Glass: a large piece of glass that is illuminated by small LED lights and mounted to an adjustable height table. It allows instructors to diagram and convey complex information, similar to a whiteboard used in classroom spaces.

I recently asked two instructors, Victor Barocas and Seonkyoo Yoon, to share their perspectives about their experiences with using Gopher Glass to create content for their courses.

Instructor demonstrating use of Gopher Glass

Prior to using Gopher Glass & working with an ATSS videographer, what were your expectations about how the process would work?

Victor Barocas (VB): I was SCARED. I was a pretty good in-class lecturer/teacher, and I would be giving that up to make a bunch of videos and would be working with people I didn't know. In the particular case of the Gopher Glass, I had no idea how it would go, and I was thus quite anxious.

 Seonkyoo Yoon (SY): I expected to have support for recording a lecture video, such as recording devices, a board of glass, markers, and a videographer to control recording devices.

What did you find most surprising about the process? 

VB: Two things: First, I was amazed at how great all of the ATSS staff, especially the videographers, were to work with. They made me feel comfortable and edited out my mistakes smoothly and easily. I never expected such an enjoyable experience that produced such good results. The second thing that surprised me was how hard it was to talk to (through) the board while using the Gopher Glass. I spent 20+ years training myself to write on the board without speaking, and then turn around and speak to the class. Now, all of a sudden, I had to talk to the board. It was very strange at first.

SY: The videographer staff is very supportive. I had many needs, such as editing and captioning the recordings and publishing the videos in a timely manner.

Would you recommend this service to others? 

VB: Absolutely.

SY: Yes, definitely!

Instructor demonstrating use of Gopher Glass

Which of the following ATSS video services did you make use of?

  • pre-recording consultation 
  • editing
  • accurate captions
  • guidance on how to add/use videos in Canvas courses
  • guidance on YouTube and Kaltura use

VB: Consultation (just a little), editing, captioning, and guidance on YouTube.

SY: All of the [services] have been very helpful.


ATSS media producers can help you create similar instructional videos: contact us to schedule a consultation.

Resources

ATSS Academic Video Production

Video consultation request